When you have a pickier eater at home you do whatever it takes to keep them interested at meals and interested in their food. Sometimes that involves dancing and singing (been there, done that, and it’s exhausting). Or you can make food fun using cheap & cheerful tools you already have lingering in your kitchen cupboards. Or sometimes you find THAT product you know you’re kids are going to love - like the ezpz mats.
A few months ago I discovered the ezpz mats and knew I needed to bring them home and into our mealtime. Not just for my girls but also for other parents I work with.
Meet ezpz. The Happy Mat + The Mini Mat
The girls are starting to declare their own everything these days, so I thought it would only be fair to grab one each mat for both of them. That’s one less reason for a breakdown at the table. 🙂
So why am I so excited about these ezpz mats? Let me tell you!
- The Happy Mat is an all-in-one placemat + plate that captures kids’ messes.
- The Mini Mat is the perfect size for smaller spaces. I tend to use this one more.
- Suctions directly to the table, making it nearly impossible for tiny hands to tip over. Yah clean floors!
- Made from high-quality silicone (NOT plastic).
- FDA-approved, certified by CPSIA as non-toxic, PVC, BPA and phthalate free (so it’s safe for growing bodies).
- SUPER easy to clean.
- Dishwasher safe & microwave safe (although we don’t use one here).
- Can be filled with food and stacked to serve several kids at once. One of the reasons we use them over at Piano Piano Restaurant (where I consulted on the best kid’s menu in the city).
- Great for bringing to restaurants or guests houses (especially the mini with the travel case).
- Nice and flat hence easy to store without taking up all that room that other bowls and plates do.
Why do I love ezpz mats for Picky Eaters?
Presentation counts for a lot when feeding kids, especially picky eaters like my daughter. She gets set in her ways, wanting to eat the SAME foods every day - that’s if I let her. Parents desperately want our kids to get some variety (and they should), but there are REALLY effective ways to help our little ones improve their variety with battles at the table.
While the ezpz mat isn’t going to solve our picky eating challenges, it does help spice up the mealtime environment and make eating fun for our little ones.
Here are a bunch of reasons why the mats are great for picky eaters:
- On staff, ezpz has a Speech-Language Pathologist and Feeding Specialist with over 20 years of experience treating children with swallowing and feeding disorders. She helps design all of the products.
- Keeps the food compartmentalized while our kids explore a range of flavours. Some kids are resistant to try foods if they “touch”.
- Have three compartments which is a great reminder for parents to serve a fruit or veggie, protein and carbohydrate.
- Smiley face design puts kids in the right mood for a positive mealtime experience.
- Colours are fun and you can even draw on the mats with dry-erase marker to make things more interesting.
Here’s Sienna figuring out which foods she wants to put in each compartment. Big decision for a little one!