You know what’s funny? I’ve gifted friends and family with Green Zebra Kitchen a few times in the past, but I had yet to try it myself.
Back in those days sans kids, I had more time to cook elaborate meals. I just couldn’t justify the cost of paying someone else to cook for me. Or as Keith would tell you, I’m just cheap (how rude!). I like to think of it as being responsible with money.
There are instances when I don’t think twice about spending money, and that is on food – QUALITY food.
I would rather spend $100 on a delicious healthy meal vs. on a pair of shoes or new clothes. My non-foodie friends think I’m nuts though. Why pay for something that you don’t have anything to show for a few hours later? But eating is so much more to me – it’s an experience I crave. And we are what we eat right?
Well, now that I’ve tried Green Zebra I’ll be opening up my wallet nice and wide to try their vegan, mostly organic, mouthwatering meals (and snacks). I’m actually kicking myself for waiting so long to sink my teeth into their food! Plus I don’t have any room for new shoes with a closet full of kids’ foot ware.
Green Zebra Kitchen is best for people who:
- Are vegan or vegetarian or just looking for a break from meat-based meals (we are the latter).
- Love salads. I eat salads daily so it was nice to try something other than my staple salads and dressings. Oh the dressings…they were sooooo good!
- Want lots of greens and veg! Veggie portions tend to be smaller for most of the meal delivery services (there’s an emphasis on the starches and meats), but with Green Zebra you’ll get your greens and more.
- Are OK with a lot of nuts in general. Most vegan meals leverage nuts (and seeds) for dressings, sauces, etc. And that’s one reason they are so delish! But being someone who eats almond butter from the jar, and always has nuts in my bag, I may have overdid it this week.
- Need snack inspiration. What kid doesn’t love snacks? And how excited was I to learn that Green Zebra Kitchen goes the extra mile and includes prepared snacks as an option. If only they were nut-free (aka school-safe) I’d really be jumping for joy, but I’ll take these anyway!
What we ordered from Green Zebra Kitchen:
**Note their menu changes but every time we order we love what we get.
Greek Bowl with Lentil Meatballs, Roasted Yams, Kalamata Olives and Cashew Tzatziki (see it on Instagram)
Pad Thai Zucchini Noodle Salad with Almond Butter-Ginger Dressing (see it on Instagram)
Super Seed Salad with Hemp, Pumpkin and Sunflower Seeds and Preserved Lemon Dressing (photo with lasagna)
Salad Niçoise with Chickpea ‘Tuna’, Green Beans, Potatoes and Olives
Hearty Flourless Nut Loaf (see it on Instagram)
Mushroom and Butternut Squash Lasagna with Cashew Alfredo
Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
Moroccan Tempeh Bowl with Roasted Carrots, Cauliflower, Almonds and Tahini-Preserved Lemon Dressing (See it on Instagram)
What were my family’s fave meals from Green Zebra Kitchen?
- Hearty Flourless Nut Loaf – I know, I know. It’s not a “meal” but this ‘bread’ blew my mind. Loved it so much that I made my my own version. I wasn’t the only fan – The girls and my hubs also had it for breakfast multiple times with no grimaces.
- Mushroom and Butternut Squash Lasagna – It was soooo nice to be able to enjoy a gluten-free and dairy-free lasagna for a change. Being Italian, I prefer my Nonna’s pasta so we don’t tend to make much of it at home. But THIS pasta rivals hers no doubt. I’m sure I ate half the pan that night (another reason I don’t make pasta often!).
- Nicoise salad – This was the kid-friendly meal I could easily pack in Sienna’s lunch and deconstruct if need be. They also liked the lentil meatballs so I threw those in too for protein.
- The dressings…I loved them all.
Why Green Zebra Kitchen is perfect for families:
- Healthy meals: you’ll know you’re giving your family the BEST with organic, gluten-free, dairy-free, plant-based meals made without processed ingredients.
- Super convenient: their food is delivered right to your door once a week and the meals are fully prepared (dressing on the side) so you just need to reheat and serve.
- Flexibility: They offer individual and family size portions. Plus you can order a meal plan or a la carte (minimum $50 order).
- Snacks too! This got me excited as snack prep can take as long as meal prep, and we families tend to gravitate to the same snacks.
- Dynamic and delicious: They change menu weekly and offer tasty and imaginative meals, salads and snacks. They also customize meals for our customers based on allergies/aversions.
How much does Green Zebra Kitchen cost?
- Price per 2-cup serving: ~$15
- Price per 4-5 piece snack serving: ~$10